Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Birth of a Phoenix

Two months ago today was my 23rd birthday, and the 41st week of my pregnancy.
This was not how I planned on spending my birthday.

But none the less, there I was, very pregnant with our mystery baby.

 At exactly 12:30 am on February 2nd, I began contracting 3 minutes apart.
20 minutes later I was out of bed and laboring on the couch while Ephraim was quickly setting up our home for birth.
I remember vividly watching him light about 30 candles, and hearing my "birth" playlist.

About 1.5 hours after labor began my midwife was on her way.  I was very determined to have a water birth, so Ephraim and I had specifically strategized the processes of blowing up and filling the birth tub.  I distinctly remember Ephraim opening our living room window at 1:30 am, pulling our car as close as possible to the house, and using the cigarette lighter to attempt to inflate the tub.... This did not work.
I then recall Ephraim disappearing for several minutes and returning, rolling a large pool into our living room.

I remember feeling amazed at how intense my contractions were, and yet how clear and alert I still felt.  And then, about 2.5 hours into labor,  I crashed suddenly, and was overtaken by contracting.



My midwives arrived around 3:30, and my labor was progressing quickly.  I asked instantly to be checked and was over 8   cm dilated.
I requested to move to the tub, but had to wait while they frantically rushed in cold water.



I sunk down deep into the water and uttered the phrase "this is amazing" between contractions.



                                                                                                                           























I labored in the tub with Ephraim for about 2 hours.  I don't recall much while I pushed except a brief conversation with my midwife where I requested to leave and have the baby but out of me, to which my midwife responded  '"Ciara, if we leave now you will have this baby in the car."

After she left the room I remember asking Ephraim if he would take me, he said no. I pushed for hours.  And after multiple position changes, was reluctantly moved to the bed.
Several more pushes later a head emerged.  After a few more pushes and no further progress, I was lifted and turned onto my hands and knees, and with a little help from my midwife, the baby was out... 7:08am.



I remained on my hands while the baby was checked over and then finally was turned to have my baby handed directly into my arms.  With Ephraim over my shoulder we looked for the first time at our son. A boy...

Phoenix d'Artagnon Richardson  : 10 pounds, 21 inches

After a euphoric time of weeping and laughing, nursing and after birth procedures, Ephraim brought Sequoia in to meet her brother.


After lots and kisses and a quick goodbye to Sequoia, Ephraim, Phoenix and myself settled in for a long nap.








And here we are, 2 months later, and madly in love with our sweet boy.
Welcome to your life Phoenix.



1 comment:

  1. Such loveliness! A very happy two month birthday to the newest bird on your wire. Time to change the blog title ;-)

    ReplyDelete