Friday, October 9, 2015

I am an octopus robot


I am supposed to be packing today.

You see, Ephraim and I have been in a transition of moving... for eight months.
For eight months, we have moved our little family more than ten times.
For eight months, all our belongings have been packed into a tiny storage unit.
For eight months, we have practiced gratefulness in the face of some really hard moments. And also some really beautiful ones.

4 1/2 months ago we began the adventure of building an apartment in our good friend's home basement.

Well, this weekend marks the end of this long transition.  We move into our new home on Sunday.
And so today, I am attempting to pack up our bit of things here at my mom's, to be moved into their next semi-permanent home.




But as my children take advantage of the many boxes we have out, I can't actually seem to convince myself to pack.  It is so easy to speed through life, always looking forward to the next, to whatever is after this.  The dreams, the one day achievements, goals, accomplishments.  But these last few months, I have felt so challenged to stop and find the joy in soaking up right now, in all the raw, imperfect, messiness.  To set aside the expectations placed on me, the jobs, the things I "should be doing".  The things that others "need" from me.... and choosing to just be in these moments.  These afternoon.  It would be easy for me to think that our life is finally back on, now after such a hard transition time.  But I would be robbing myself of all the life that happened while things were messy.  The babies born.  The celebrations.  The hard moments.  The beautiful moments.  The passion.  The lessons.




"The seasons change and you change, but the Lord abides evermore the same, and the streams of his love are as deep, as broad and as full as ever."
-Charles Spurges



So, I suppose packing will wait, while we just play pretend for a bit.
"mama, I'm an octopus robot"


No comments:

Post a Comment